Joining with Nicole for KCCO and Ginny for the Yarn Along.Â We’re finishing up some Thanksgiving and autumn-themed books this week before diving in to Advent books next week.Â I think we’ve read and re-read Wild Child at least a dozen times in the past few days.Â It’s always been a favorite in our home.
The children really enjoyed The Life and Times of the Apple. Harold is intensely interested in gardening (go figure) and he was fascinated with the section on fruit grafting.
Today there is no knitting or spinning to share, but I have been working on some wooly garments.Â I have a few knitting projects going, but they were pushed to the back burner this weekend as I tried desperately to get a big stack of sewing finished. The weather has turned cold + George is growing rapidly = he is short on diaper covers.
For several months, I had been collecting wool sweaters at the thrift store and a few rummage sales, washing/fulling them, and storing them until time could be found to sew.Â I managed to complete half of them while George napped, and got the other half cut and pinned.
With the leftover sleeves, I whipped up some wool longies for overnight and extra chilly days.Â They look a bit wonky here, but will lay flat once blocked.Â The two larger ones are for George.Â The sky blue one is for a baby-shower gift – in its former life it was a velvety-soft wool and cashmere J. Crew sweater (thank you, UU church rummage sale).
Total cost for enough wool and elastic to make 6 soakers and 4 longies = $3.25
Here’s George in his new soakers after they were blocked and waterproofed.Â Â Next week I will have a tutorial up on waterproofing wool soakers with lanolin.Â I’ll walk you through the process so you, too, can have excellent results using wool covers with cloth diapers.
And now back to making pie crusts!